Brief: Create hospitality experiences for Castrol’s guests at a range of venues within key FIFA World Cup host cities which build deeper relationships with customers, position the Castrol brand as innovative and forward-thinking, demonstrate Castrol’s pioneering spirit and celebrate the host nation of Brazil
Our audience insight: “I’m a Castrol partner so I’m interested to learn more about their plans, but I also want to experience and enjoy football in its spiritual home.”
Activation: Castrol FC – a physical manifestation of the brand’s approach to football and business, and an umbrella under which to unite all of the different hospitality venues and experiences.
Castrol FC at Cafu’s House
In Sao Paulo, we wanted to give Castrol’s guests an exclusive money-can’t-buy experience and demonstrate the power of partnerships. So instead of paying FIFA for a space at the stadium pre-match, we took guests to World Cup winner and Castrol partner Cafu’s house. They had private tours of his trophy room, tested their freestyle football skills with Andrew Henderson (world freestyle football champion) and got to experience his home cinema and outdoor kitchen.
The Castrol FC Innovation Theatre
We split Castrol’s hospitality space at the Maracana in two. The Innovation Theatre celebrated Castrol’s most inspirational partnerships. Presentations from senior Castrol executives and pioneering leaders such as Wired’s David Rowan and Castrol brand ambassador Cafu were supported by custom-created content on five large-scale LED screens.
Castrol FC at The Maracana
Once guests had visited the Innovation Theatre, they moved through to the Castrol FC experience where they were treated to traditional Brazilian food and drink along with live entertainment from Brazilian drummers and dancers. The pioneering spirit of Castrol FC was celebrated through a freestyle football ‘battle’ between world champion freestyler Andrew Henderson and local girl Marissa Cintra.
The Castrol FC Beach Club
Part of the guest experience in Rio de Janeiro included a takeover of Club Med, just outside the city. As well as providing accommodation and facilities for business meetings, the space was dedicated to celebrating Brazil and its football culture via footballing challenges, entertainment and cultural experiences.
Castrol FC – The Merchandise
Part of our role in Brazil was to design a range of functional, comfortable and fully branded merchandise for guests and Castrol’s worldwide customer network. 426,787 pieces of merchandise were distributed to 56 markets globally. At matches, the diagonal stripes on the polo shirts were a particular highlight as they resulted in Castrol’s section of the stadia standing out in FIFA World Cup coverage.
Did it work (quantitative)?
- 97% of guests rated their overall experience Very Good or Good
- 96% of guests rated their hospitality as Very Good or Good
- 98% of guests agreed or strongly agreed that Castrol is an innovative, forward-thinking company
- 97% of guests agreed or strongly agreed that Castrol builds strong and committed relationships with its customers
- 93% of guests agreed or strongly agreed that their attendance left them with a greater understanding of Castrol’s business strategy
Did it work (qualitative)?
- “A unique experience that I will remember for ever. I will tell my children, grandchildren and friends about this wonderful present that Castrol shared with me.” – Castrol Guest
- “The Castrol team did an excellent job with planning, logistics, and enhancing the overall experience. Each and every one of the team was truly outstanding.” – Castrol Guest
- “Exceeded my expectations with the overall package. I loved the activities with the freestyle champions. Once again, a thousand thanks!” – Castrol Guest
- “Many thanks for your support and for a truly stunning production delivery on the day. You brought a level of professionalism and rigour to the whole process which we could learn a lot from in our own business, and all done with a smile and a fabulous attitude. One customer described the production as rock star level!” – Roy Williamson, Castrol Senior Director